Silverthorn Farm Inc. is hiring seasonal positions to do field planting, harvest and pack as well as hoophouse tomato management. Positions start in March-May and run through Thanksgiving. Part-time winter work is sometimes available. To apply please send us your resume, two work references, and answers to the questions at the end of this announcement. We will accept applications until the positions are filled. We will require an in-person interview at our farm as part of our application process.
WHO WE ARE
Silverthorn Farm Inc. is a diversified vegetable, livestock and winter production farm located in Rossville, Indiana. We raise 25 acres of organic vegetables as well as 35,000 square feet of high tunnel/greenhouse growing. We have various grass-fed/ pastured livestock projects going on around the farm as well. We feed 325 families through a unique online free choice CSA box every week from late April-January. We also serve more that 70 local restaurant accounts year-round. We believe deeply in building community around farming. We strive for sustainability in all aspects of our farm from soil to plants, people and animals. Learn more about us.
Work at Silverthorn Farm is diverse, though each of these positions will focus on specific parts of the operation. Employees are expected to work as a team with many tasks from seeding, transplanting, weeding to harvest wash and pack.
Field Crew Leader
The field crew leader will have experience on a diverse and mechanized vegetable farm. This position works directly with the farm owner/manager and is intended to be the first step to a management level full-time job. Duties include overseeing all aspects of production from the transplant or seeding stage through harvest in field production. This includes transplanting, seeding, weeding, irrigation, harvest, disease control and record keeping. Must have the ability to work efficiently and independently while managing a crew of skilled labor. Experience with tractors and general farm equipment is desired.
Hoophouse Crew Leader
This is a new position on the farm and we are looking for someone with great attention to detail to take the hoophouse production to the next level. With nearly an acre of protected growing space the job will entail all aspects of heirloom tomato and trellised cucumbers in the summer followed by transition to fall and winter production. Applicants should have a deep understanding of horticulture and the needs of high production and intense management inside a protected environment. Tasks will include all aspects of production from planting, weeding, trellising, irrigation and fertility management to pest and disease control. Must be able to communicate well with a small crew as well as the farm leadership team. Other responsibilities include harvest, wash and packing with the farm team on a regular weekly basis. Position is available March-December.
Field Crew Member
An entry level position with vast duties across the entire farm. A great way to get a feel for a diverse farm and all the different jobs involved. Work varies greatly week to week and seasonally, but includes planting, weeding, harvesting, packing and general record keeping. Position is available April-November.
We give preference to applicants with the following:
- Willingness to commit to the full-time schedule as described above through position end date
- Prior farm experience
- Prior experience working in a fast paced team environment
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Willingness to do hard physical labor
- Ability to focus on quality while performing repetitive tasks
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Interest in sustainable agriculture and quality food
- A positive attitude and a sense of humor
What We Will Do For You
- We will teach you the skills needed to operate a diversified vegetable farm at scale.
- We love farming and are excited to share what we have learned with a new generation of professionals.
- Employees are paid weekly.
- Employees new to the position will begin at $10/hour.
- Crew leader positions will be paid based on experience.
- Employees have access to second quality produce and eggs as part of their employment package.
- Please note that we do not have on farm housing.
Please send us your resume, two work related references, and answers via email to Nate Parks.
- Please tell us about yourself, your interests and why you want to work on a farm.
- Why do you think SIlverthorn Farm Inc. would be a good match for your interests?
- What specific skills and talents would you bring to our farm business?
- When are you available? (start and end dates)