4 Silverthorn small-medium zucchini
14 ounces Silverthorn chopped tomatoes and their juices
8 ounces package Yoder ground beef or Thistle Byre Farm ground lamb
6 ounces of tomato paste
1 cup organic cottage cheese
1 Homestead Heritage egg
1 Silverthorn sweet white onion, chopped
1/4 cup warm water
2 Tbsp grassfed butter
1 Tbsp Silvethorn basil, chopped
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp sage
Meadow Valley Farm mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Slice each zucchini thinly longwise, about 1/4 inch or less thick, with a sharp knife. Set aside.
- Insert cottage cheese and 1 egg into a small bowl and whisk together for 30 seconds, set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt 2 Tbsp butter and add in chopped onion. Cook onion until soft. Then add in chopped tomatoes and their juices, the tomato paste and 1/4 cup warm water- mix well. Stir in oregano, basil, and about 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring sauce mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce is thick and easily spreadable. Set aside.
- Next, add ground meat into a cooking pot on medium heat. Mix in sage and sprinkle generously with salt. Cook until meat has browned a bit, but do not overcook, meat will cook more when baked.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. While oven is preheating bring a large pot of water and 1/4 tsp of salt to a boil. Once water is boiling, insert zucchini slices and cook for 60 seconds. Do not over cook. Once cooked, immediately remove from hot water and place in a strainer to rid it of excess water.
- Now its time to layer your lasagna! Start by buttering the bottom and sides of a large deep baking pan. Then put one layer of zucchini slices on the bottom, next layer on the meat, then 1/2 of your shredded cheese. Then, another layer of zucchini slices, cottage cheese mixture, the rest of your zucchini slices, sauce then the rest of your cheese. Place in oven and cook until cheese is bubbling slightly.
- Once cooked, remove from oven, cool and enjoy!